Monday, February 16, 2009

off the program

Those of you who know me pretty well, or those of you who followed my livejournal with any semblance of regularity (and who might have happened to see this rumination about body image and exercise), will know how utterly lame this is for me: for the last two weeks or so, I haven't really been able to run like I want to. I don't know what's up with my knee, but after about 20 minutes or so--less if I'm running hills like I love--it just starts to flat-out hurt. Even if I'm running trails and not pavement. I haven't really been able to pinpoint it, but it pisses me off. Running makes me feel like a sane person, and though I've been pretty good so far at not going crazy without it (I'm pretty proud of that), I feel like I'm getting to that point.

Because of the three-day weekend, I've had some time to take some really, really long walks in an attempt to straighten everything out and still get some exercise. And there's always my bike, though I haven't taken any epic rides lately (though with this springy weather of late, I might have to break out again on my sexy, sexy roadbike:) I'm just super annoyed with my knee. Any time something's not working like I feel like it should, I tend to get annoyed--like, come on, knee, I've treated you well--what the hell? And I can just feel my cardiovascular fitness going to shit, though in reality it's probably fine. Again, I'm just a little crazy when I can't move around like I want to be able to. But seriously. I hate it when I don't feel like I'm in control of how my body works, even though I know I should chill the fuck out. I'll get old, eventually, I know, and then all sorts of things will stop working like they should.

I just really, really want to run right now.

Any knee experts out there?:)

No comments: