Monday, March 15, 2010

fiction writing is hard

It's another Monday night: time to try to pull yet another story together to share at my class tomorrow. I don't know that I've ever had this much trouble writing. Maybe it's just that I haven't been good about writing every day, so I find myself on Sunday and Monday trying to come up with an entire story without having given my poor creative brain time to play around, regroup, revise, rethink. If it were memoir or nonfiction I feel like it would be much easier for me to write, but it's proven amazingly difficult for me to pull together the characters, plot, conflict necessary for fictional stories. And every week I leave class thinking that this week I'll start earlier, give myself more time to write--and then of course Sunday rolls around and I've still barely even thought about what I want to do.

I feel bad that I'm not giving this class the attention it deserves. But I also feel good about all the other things I've been doing. I guess it's a matter of balance, as always.

So here's to another story I'll "finish" tomorrow during my prep period...

No comments: