Monday, July 26, 2010

boringness

While I was looking for that other old livejournal post, I found this gem (full post here):

Tomorrow James and I make our first offer on our first home. Having never done this before, I don't really know what to expect, though if it's like the rest of the house-buying process thus far it will probably involve lots of jargon, lots of time, and our signatures on many identical-looking lines. We will also, in the span of only a few hours, certainly become about ten times as boring as we usually are. That seems to be the effect of house-buying thus far: exponentially increased boringness. I hope it's temporary, because with the increase of boringness I'm already suffering with this all-consuming teaching job, I don't know if I can handle the added boringness of house-buying without turning to stone.


Almost three years in to our new house, I'm glad to report that neither of us actually turned to stone during the buying process. However, I do still believe that doing something over and over and over, to the exclusion of other things that would normally contribute to your well-rounded personhood, is certain to ultimately make you quite boring, except maybe to other people who are also doing the same thing over and over and over.

I hope to avoid that.

No comments: