Monday, July 12, 2010

Mt. St. Helens. Or, All Roads Worth Biking (even with a trailer) Have Hills

You know that bike trip I mentioned in my last post? Well, I'm back. And oh my goodness was it amazing.



I don't think I can really do the whole travel narrative thing; suffice it to say that I spent my days biking and hiking my ass off, surrounded by natural beauty, and I fell asleep in the super-quiet of non-mechanized space. I don't think there was a single flat road until the very end of my trip, the rather unscenic commute between Battleground and Vancouver, Washington--but like my title says, I think all the best roads are the hilly ones, since they're the windy, woody, rivery ones that not as many people drive on.

People's reactions to my biking fell into one of two extreme but predictable camps: either the "you are a badass" camp--I liked that one--or the "you are completely insane and does your mother know you're doing this?" camp. Seriously. There was no one who was just kind of eh about it, everyone I talked to either thought I was awesome or a total raving lunatic. It kind of made me feel like a biking iconoclast or something. And honestly, I kind of like that.

Anyway. Check the rest of my pictures if you want: Gifford Pinchot Bike Trip And ask me questions or leave me some comments/emails, cuz otherwise I feel like I'm just foisting my pictures upon you. Give me some interaction, here:)

No comments: