Friday, September 3, 2010

getting psyched

As weird as it is, I'm super psyched right now to not be wrapped up in back-to-school: no planning lessons, no setting up my classroom, no stressing about class size or the 14 cut days or the new schedules. I'm sad to not be a part of so many adolescents' lives, but I'm reveling in the tranquility of my mind. I'm grateful for this year of not teaching.

On the other hand, I'm super excited for the upcoming bike club I'll be a part of: I'll be helping low-income 9-12 year olds learn about bike safety, maintenance, and riding, and over the course of 6 weeks together they'll earn and get to keep the donated bikes that they work on. That's the kind of teaching I'm into right now--not standards-based, bureaucratically-stifled, oft-mind-numbing public school, but real-life, out-in-the-world, get-your-body-moving lessons. Ideally, all school would seem so essential, but for right now, I'm super excited to be outside with kids, teaching them skills they can use in all aspects of their lives.

In other news, I'd love an easy (but useful) part-time job for the hours before school is over. Looking, looking--but not stressing about it. Life is good right now.

No comments: