Monday, August 31, 2009

anniversary

Okay, it's actually about a week late. But this is the year anniversary of when I stopped using shampoo in my hair. That's right. It's been a year and a week since product of any sort has touched my head. Which I'm sure sounds gross to many of you, but has actually been quite liberating (not to mention way better for the water I wash down the drain).

The first week or so was probably the worst. That was the greasy, stringy phase while my hair re-acclimatized itself to not being soaped and lathered and stripped of all its natural oils. I wore lots of ponytails. But since that first week (maybe the first two weeks), everything's been fine. In the shower I pretend like I'm shampooing, going through the motions but without actual shampoo, and I don't think anyone can really tell the difference anymore.

So happy anniversary, natural hair.

No comments: